NetGalley

Professional Reader 80% 25 Book Reviews 2016 NetGalley Challenge

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Angels Burning -Review

Angels Burning    🌟🌟🌟🌟
by Tawni O'Dell
Published January 2016 by Gallery Books



Finished 12.29.16

Dove has gone from a poor orphan girl raised by her grandmother  to being chief of police in a small PA backwater.  Her estranged brother has shown up with a nine year old son no one knew about.  Dove is an attractive fifty, and her self-deprecating  humor kept me laughing, while at the same time  a very gruesome murder has occurred which Dove and the state police  are investigating.

I stand I front of my bathroom mirror examining my Morning Old Face, or OMF as I've come to think of it. It's a syndrome I've identified that occurs when I first wake up and my face looks much older than it is.  My color  is bad.  I have dark circles under my eyes.  My cheeks sag.  The lines on my forehead pop out.  Later in the day I improve, but until then....   ... Sound familiar?

She is very friendly with one of the state policemen, if you get my drift.  She can't  help but seek his approval  at each turn of her investigation; but still we're  privy to her internal  conversations, which are so entertaining:

"You need to decide if you're a law enforcement officer or a glorified babysitter who ignores  the rules and does whatever the hell she wants," he told me roughly.  When he put it that way, I kind of preferred the second option.

All is not fun and games of course.  There are some very loathsome  characters within the family of the murdered girl, all who kept me guessing about what could possibly happen next.  A really enjoyable  read.  I also loved her Back Roads many years ago  and I  wager her other books are worth checking out too.  Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment