NetGalley

Professional Reader 80% 25 Book Reviews 2016 NetGalley Challenge

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Alternate Side - Review

Alternate Side    ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ
by Anna Quindlen  
Expected publication March 20 2018 by Random House


This will be a difficult review, because I love every one of Anna Quindlen's  books -- but I didn't love this one.  She writes about New York life and motherhood, neither of which have anything to do with me, yet I still find her stories and her storytelling flawless. 

However, I almost didn't finish this book because at first it was all about a parking lot on a dead end street.  And a husband who was obsessed with renting a spot and proud as a peacock when his wish was granted.  While I was struggling to maintain interest, a LOT  of neighbors in this upper middle class community were introduced, but most of their names escaped me as I was only half paying attention.

I did stick with it and was glad to know more about the characters and less about the parking lot finally, but I couldn't help wishing I'd chosen an alternate book to read.  There was a sorry incident in the parking lot (there we are again) that pretty much changed everything and everyone in some sad ways, but that wasn't enough to make me fully invested in the outcome.

An ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment