NetGalley

Professional Reader 80% 25 Book Reviews 2016 NetGalley Challenge

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

What Happened - Review

What Happened  🌟🌟🌟🌟
by Hillary Clinton
Published September 12 2017 by Simon & Schuster


Great book on audio, narrated by HRC herself.  Following are just some notes I made while listening to her tell me What Happened.  Not really a review, just a few thoughts and lots of quotes (actually more than a few as I got a little carried away, sorry!):




In the days following the 11-8-16 election, what I call "The end of the world as we know it," dozens of women apologized to Hillary for not voting. A woman forced her daughter to come over in a restaurant and apologize for not voting.  Hillary wanted to throttle her, or at least say, geez ya just have to vote!  But she did neither, composed and polite as she is. 
....
Her marriage really does sound solid although maybe unusual.  I think they're best friends and good for each other.  I am always wondering about that.  Almost died laughing after learning that they actually watch the Good Wife together!  Can you say... irony?
....
"I did my best 
It wasn't much
I couldn't feel
So I tried to touch.
I've told the truth
I didn't come to fool you.
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue 
But Hallelujah  

"I'm not giving up and neither should  you."
Kate McKinnon as Hillary Clinton, Saturday Night Live  Nov. 2016.  
....
"I thought I'd  be a damn good President," a quote from HRC.  😭
....
HRC on Women's reproductive rights:
Texas has Defunded Planned Parenthood and refused to expand Medicaid, and maternal fatalities doubled between 2010 and 2014. Six hundred  women have died in TX, not from abortions, but from trying to give birth.  The number of teenagers having abortions actually increased when support for family planning was cut -- in one county up 190% between 2012 and 2014.
....
"Well-behaved women seldom make history."  Laurel Thatcher Ullrich
....
" When any barrier falls in America for anyone, it clears the way for everyone." HRC  
....
Those damn emails!  They occupied so much time during the election  and they do so in this book too.  Glad she explained the whole thing so well - I wish everyone would read at least that part as it's  well worth it.
....
Those damn Russians.  If you make it through  the email part, hold on to your seat because next:  The Russians are coming!  All I kept thinking was "What a freaking $h*itstorm!"  Lots of people to blame all around for doing essentially NOTHING once the extent of the Russian interference became common knowledge.
....
I thought this a very worthwhile way to spend my time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment