NetGalley

Professional Reader 80% 25 Book Reviews 2016 NetGalley Challenge

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Idaho - Review

Idaho    🌟🌟
by Emily Ruskovich
Published February 16 2016 by Chatto & Windus


Finished 3/12/17

I received a galley copy of Idaho from NetGalley and the publisher.  

There was much to like about this book, but also tremendous frustration with it.   First, I looked at the chapter titles, which log the years going from 2004 to 2008 to 1985-1986, 1999, 1973, and at the end 2025, and I could not bring myself to even begin reading it, since I definitely do not enjoy timelines that jump around like this. 
But when I finally did start it, I was sort of mesmerized by the exquisite writing and drawn into the mystery of a mother who inexplicably murders her daughter on a family outing, causing the other daughter to run away and go missing for all time.  So two mysteries actually exist.  Two mysteries to solve...or not.
Then just as I was drawn in, I was turned off by more perspectives and timelines being introduced, and more questions than answers.  The last several chapters were interminable.  I guess if read for a book club, there could be lengthy discussions, analyzing, delving deeply, and sheer guesswork to be had.  Instead, I sit here very frustrated and not pleased one bit with the ending.  2.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment